But, the cost of a burial came to a huge shock to both myself and my sister and thank goodness my mum had savings for this service!! My mum's wishes were to be buried and its this service I will be writing about. The cost of a cremation is far less and fortunately, I have no experience the arrangements for one of those.
* To buy a new plot at our local cemetery £2,000
* To hire the services of our local funeral directors cost us £1,900
* To purchase a headstone, these range from £1,000 - £1,500
* Flowers, which were beautiful and mum would have been proud £140
* Wake (which we had in the function room of the pub) £5.50 per head
* Chapel Service £300
* We had a family member create the order of service
* I also think we had to pay for the Reverand but I can't remember, so I'll update this post once I get the bill from my sister.
This cost has been a massive eye opener to us, and as a result of this it made me stop and think about my own arrangements not in a morbid way, but purely from a financial situation! I don't know what/if any savings I may have and I don't want my family on a debt plan when I'm gone, and its because of this that I now find myself planning on going back to the funeral directors to discuss my own plans!
As I mentioned above, this post is not meant to be morbid in any way and I apologise if it comes across that way. It is merely a fact sheet, just to put the seed out there to you that the cost of a funeral - is up there with the cost of a wedding!
Hope we did you proud mum.
Always in our hearts.